Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Happy New Year and secrets revealed

Many of you may not know that today is Rosh Hashanh, the Jewish new Year. According to the Jewish calendar, the year is 5771. Not too shabby.

Though Rosh Hashanah offers no count down, ball drop, or fireworks like the more commonly known New Year in December, us Jews do have something special up our sleeve to make our holiday memorable. Actually, we can knock New Year's socks off.

Are you ready for it?


Brace yourself.


Jewish chicken soup. As in, Jewish Penicillin.

You, my friends, are about to be bestowed a great honor. I am sharing with you my Jewish chicken soup recipe, which is adapted from my Mother-in-law's recipe. They're both delicious, but the hubs will refuse to say which is better. He's a smart man, that hubs of mine.

Now, like any Jewish cook, I don't really use measurements. A little of this, a little of that... I will do my best to give you an accurate low down.


First things first, you need your ingredients:
1 tomato cut into 8ths
2 parsnips, peeled
1 onion cut into 8ths
parsley
cauliflower (I use a lot)
1 potato peeled and quartered
water
chicken on the bone (I use drumsticks)
paprika
salt
pepper
water
chicken bouillon
small egg noodles

Now, time to cook!
1. Put raw chicken in a large stock pot
2. fill up pot with enough water to cover about 3 inches above chicken
3. Add bouillon, salt, pepper and paprika to taste
4. Bring to boil
5. Add the rest of ingredients
6. Cover and simmer low for about an hour
7. Remove bones from soup
8. Serve with noodles


That's all there is to it! Easy right? Who doesn't love chicken soup? Of course, feel free to add or remove veggies as needed. I will speak for my people when I say that we all have preferences in what we like in our soup. I, for example, love cauliflower where as the hubs loves carrots. Who knew chicken soup could be so diverse? La' Chaim!

3 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you! (Is there a common saying for that?) Your soup looks d-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy new year! I'm so glad your people and my people have our very own years. So exclusive :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks insanely delicious. I will definitely be attempting to make it! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...