Sunday, November 14, 2010

Inspiration at the commissary

Earlier this week, I took a quick trip to the commissary- one of my favorite places ever. For those of you who are not familiar with the commissary, it's a military grocery store. But it's not just a grocery store, no, no, no. It's a grocery store where nearly everything is about 20% cheaper than your average Harris Teeter or Food Lion. Cha-ching!

Most people hate going because it's usually crowded, but I LOVE me a commissary trip. Infact, food shopping with Paul is one of my most favorite things to do. Seriously. I'm crazy about food, what can I say?

While most commissary trips are uneventful, this week's trip inspired me. Check out what my hubs spotted:



A girl walking around with a four inch binder, itemized by aisle, full of coupons. I've never seen anything like it. A-mazing. Are you green with coupon envy? I am.

I stink at coupon clipping and, to be honest, wasn't sure where to even find coupons outside of the commissary aisles. So I had to inquire as this girl was obviously an expert. If you know me, you know I have no fear in going up to a stranger and striking a conversation. Clearly, I also have no problem asking someone if I can take a photo of their coupon binder. So, faster than you can say "buy one get one free," I made a beeline to pick this coupon phenom's brain.

Here are the minutes from our interrogation convo:

-Most people use a two inch binder for their coupons, my guru uses four.
- The best way to store the coupons is in baseball card sheets.
- If you have a numbered and itemized coversheet with the aisles of your grocery store, you can number your binder to find your coupons quickly.
 - The best place to get coupons is in a Sunday newspaper and if you hit up the dollar store early, you can get the newspaper for $1 instead of $2.
- Websites for coupons include www.coupon.com, www.redplum.com, and www.smartsource.com

I am absolutely in awe and am completely inspired to make a coupon binder of my very own. So, I have to know, are you as inspired as I am or do you already have your own way to organize coupons? Are you a coupon clipper, or just suck it up and pay full price? Any other tips to share? Help a girl out!

4 comments:

  1. Hah, Mary carried around a binder like that for a long time. It was even alphabetized by product name!

    I joked her mercilessly about it, and I think the amount of time it took to find/clip/organize all those coupons finally became too much for her to handle, once school started back up.

    It's quite a bit of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam- that does not surprise me even one little bit that Mary had a binder like this. Gotta love your wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, that binder is amazing. I've never seen such a thing!! I have binders full of recipes and magazine pages, but coupons are a new one! And I'm super impressed. I don't cut coupons for a couple of reasons 1. we don't get the newspaper 2. There never seems to be anything I buy in the coupons!! But since you listed those websites, I'm totally going to look!! Keep us updated!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow! I'm your newest follower! I go to the commissary too, but I didn't know that you could bring in manufacturer coupons as well. I thought you could only use the in-store coupons! I'm an idiot.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...